Recipe of the Week: Smothered Wet Burrito in Red Sauce
Smothered Wet Burrito in Red Sauce
– Carne asada (or any choice of protein) cheese, red, or green sauce. (I used Carne Asada)
– Onions, garlic, cilantro, guacamole, sour cream or mexican crema.
– Seasonings: salt, garlic and onion powder, black pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
– Beans: (I used pinto beans and cooked according to directions, however, you can use caned beans refried or whole. (pinto or black preferably)
– Rice: (I used one cup but for three people) for added flavor and color I use the chicken & tomato bouillon mixed with one teaspoon of cumin.
– Tortillas: (size depends on how large or small you want your burrito. Of course I used the biggest ones.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
2. Brown or grill your choice of meat along with the onion in a skillet over medium high heat.
3. Cook and stir until evenly browned and onion is translucent.
4. Drain grease and season with the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. (hint: for added flavor try adding a small drop of lime juice).
5. In a small saucepan, combine one can of enchilada sauce and cilantro. Whisk together until mixed well, and cook over medium heat until heated through.
6. Place a burrito shell on a clean surface and place a desired amount of beans, rice, and meat mixture into the center of your shell. If desired, add guacamole, and cheese at this time.
7. Now fold in the left and right side of the tortilla over the filling, like an envelope, and place the seam down in greased oven safe dish. Repeat if needed:
8. Once desired burritos has been rolled. Pour the entire pan of sauce and cilantro over the tops of the burritos. Cover with cheese.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the burritos are heated through and the cheese is melted.
10. Top with crema or sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and guacamole.
Remember this is your burrito, make it the way you like and anything can be added or omitted. Either way you choose to make it, it’s going to be delicious!
Thank you for cooking in the Creative Kitchen!
Check me out on my new IG Food blog page @ yoyo _ b cooking.