Recipe of the Week: Oxtail Soup
Okay some of y’all city folks might not know about oxtail soup, but for those who do “Can I hear you holla!”
Oxtails are one of the most flavorful cuts of beef. The longer they are braised the more they fall off the bone which only means that your soup is going to be nothing less than succulent!
2 -3 tablespoon cooking oil
1- 2 pounds oxtail (medium size)
1 chopped onion
1 cup carrots
1/2 cup stewed tomatoes
1 tsp. thyme
2 tbsp. minced garlic
Dash of smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 beef bouillon powder or cube
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 can of butter or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of lima beans
1) Season oxtail with flour, salt and pepper. Set aside
2) In large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add oxtails sautee stirring, frequently after the oxtail mixture has browned, remove and set aside.
To the pot, add the onions, carrots, and garlic, thyme, Worcestershire, tomato paste, beef bouillon and smoked paprika, stir for a minute or so.
3) Then add 2 cans of beef broth and 2-3 cups of water, bring to a boil and let it simmer until tender 2-3 hours, occasionally stirring the saucepan.
4) About 20-30 minutes before completely cooked add beans. If soup is too thick add water or stock.
5) Add salt or more seasonings if needed.
This soup is delicious with rice or mashed potatoes. Either way this soup is sure to please.
For those who follow my recipes I would like to say Thank You, and also give you a box of delicious homemade tea cake cookies using a recipe that had been passed down from my grandmother (a.k.a. Big Mama)
So, the first person who sends me an email with your first and last name will win a tin can box of delicious cookies.
My email is Yolandanorwood@gmail.com
Follow my food on Instagtam @yolandaprichett