Observer Group Newspapers of Southern California, Inc., Via Covered California News
The summer wedding season is upon us, and this joyous next step in life shouldn’t be taken without the safety and security of having quality, affordable health insurance for you and your partner.
We are in the midst of Covered California’s special enrollment period and getting married is one of the ways Californians can qualify to sign up for health insurance instead of having to wait until open enrollment in the fall. As long as you apply for coverage within 60 days of your wedding, you are eligible to sign up.
“Congratulations to all of the Californians getting married during the summer months,” said Covered California Executive Director Jessica Altman. “Take a moment to protect your bliss by getting yourself – and your partner – health insurance coverage. It will provide you with top-notch primary care and protection from any health emergencies.”
Consumers who sign up during special enrollment will have their coverage begin on the first of the following month. So, anyone that enrolls during July would have full coverage on Aug. 1 with expanded financial help under the federal American Rescue Plan included for qualifying Californians.
In addition to getting married, there are many life changes that allow Californians to enroll right now. The most common qualifying life events are losing health coverage, having a baby, permanently moving to California, or moving within the state.
Additionally, there are several other qualifying life events that are available due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the American Rescue Plan:
- You or a family member have been affected by COVID-19.
- You have a household income under 150 percent of the federal poverty level, which is less than $19,320 for an individual and $39,750 for a family of four.
- You paid the penalty because you did not have health insurance.
A full list of qualifying life events for Covered California’s special enrollment can be found here.
“Because of the American Rescue Plan, in 2022, two of every three Covered California enrollees can get name-brand coverage for $10 a month or less,” Altman said. “If you are uninsured and have experienced a qualifying life event, you can sign up for coverage right now.”
Consumers can explore their health coverage options in several different ways, including:
- Covered California’s online Shop and Compare Tool will show a consumer if they are eligible for financial help and which health plans are available in their area.
- Find the nearest certified enroller in your local area for free and confidential help by visiting https://www.coveredca.com/support/contact-us/.
- Call Covered California at (800) 300-1506 to get information or enroll by phone.
Covered California’s online enrollment portal and certified enrollers will also help people find out whether they are eligible for low-cost or no-cost Medi-Cal health plans. Medi-Cal enrollment is available year-round, and the coverage will begin the day after a person signs up.