Betts Returns to Dodgers After Five-Week Absence

Mookie Betts returned to the Los Angeles Dodgers’ lineup Monday night, giving the club back one of baseball’s most accomplished players after a five-week absence caused by a right oblique strain.

By Earl Heath | Contributing Sports Writer

Mookie Betts returned to the Los Angeles Dodgers’ lineup Monday night, giving the club back one of baseball’s most accomplished players after a five-week absence caused by a right oblique strain.

The Dodgers activated Betts from the injured list before their series opener against the San Francisco Giants and placed him back in his familiar No. 2 spot in the batting order, between Shohei Ohtani and Freddie Freeman. Betts had been sidelined since April 5 and played two rehab games with Triple-A Oklahoma City before rejoining the big-league club.

The Dodgers hoped Betts’ return could help revive an offense that has struggled through stretches in May. Betts, however, made it clear that one player will not solve everything.

“I’m not the hero,” Betts said before the game. “It’s going to take us all.”

Betts went 1 for 5 in his return, but the Dodgers’ offense remained quiet in a 9-3 loss to the Giants at Dodger Stadium. San Francisco pulled away late, scoring three runs in the seventh inning and three more in the ninth. Rafael Devers helped lead the Giants with two hits, two RBIs and three runs.

The loss dropped the Dodgers to 24-17, leaving them a half-game behind the San Diego Padres in the National League West at the time. Los Angeles has struggled to generate consistent offense, scoring three runs or fewer in several recent games. Key hitters, including Ohtani, Will Smith and Teoscar Hernández, have been trying to find a rhythm this month.

Betts, 33, opened the season 5 for 28 before the injury. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said before Monday’s game that the club would monitor Betts as he worked his way back into regular action.

“I think with Mookie, you just don’t know,” Roberts said. “So, the hope is that he can kind of hit the ground running.”

To make room for Betts, the Dodgers optioned infield prospect Alex Freeland to Triple-A Oklahoma City. Roberts called the move “a tough one,” noting that Hyeseong Kim had played well enough to stay on the roster. Kim, a left-handed hitter, gives the Dodgers another option at second base alongside right-handed-hitting Miguel Rojas. Veteran Santiago Espinal, who is out of minor league options, remains in a reserve role.

Betts is expected to ease back into everyday duty as the Dodgers look to steady their lineup and regain momentum in the division race.